Friday, September 2, 2011

It's in the bag for Nicole Richie

Just a few days ago, Nicole Richie launched a handbag expansion to her House of Harlow 1960 collection. She described the line as being inspired by, "...style icons of the late ’60s and early ’70s, such as Penelope Tree, Peggy Moffitt, and Edie Sedgwick, incorporating a mod twist, while continuing to stay true to the collection’s signature style." What I've personally liked about her HOH and Winterkate lines are the contradictions in them. Her HOH line in particular feels rock 'n roll, boho, and modern glam all in one. And these handbags are certainly no exception.

I of course have a tendency to swoon whenever I see fringe (perhaps due to my Southwest upbringing) which is one of the reasons I fell for the Nadine bag. What really caught my eye though was the leopard inset on the strap. I've honestly never thought to put leopard and fringe together, but I have to admit I'm quite drawn to this juxtaposition.



The line takes a bit a downward turn when it comes to this next piece however. Although I'm willing to accept the fact that black and gold, particularly gold studs, might actually be a foundation for Ms. Richie's brand, I can't help but feel the Val clutch hits a little to close to home in regards to the skull-adorned McQueen hard clutches we saw last year.



Overall, the line does end on a positive note with what I can confidently say is my favorite HOH bag, with this last Rey bag. It's sort of gypsy inspired, boho yet fancy all in one. The cranberry color is perfect for this time of year, and the jeweled accents on top feel like something from another time. I can surely see this bag meshing with all of her lace and crochet pieces from the Winterkate line.

No comments:

Post a Comment